Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Family Friendly Low Carb Part 4 - Broccoli Bacon Cheese Soup

It's cold! I'm trying not to whine too much about it, especially since we just had the upstairs of our house insulated and the average temperature indoors has gone up ten degrees.  But it's FREEZING! And we haven't even hit December 1st yet. I am absolutely not prepared for winter temperatures this year.

When it's cold, I want soup! I want something that is going to warm me from my core, both physically and spiritually. Because soup tends to take a number of steps to prepare, I feel like it's just full of love. Cook the meat, chop the veggies, make the stock; all labors of love. And preparing soup for my family makes me feel like I am truly nourishing them. It's just good all the way around. 

Broccoli Bacon Cheese Soup


Ingredients:
  • 6 slices bacon 
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 3 cups broccoli - coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese 


In a stock pot, cook bacon until crispy. DO NOT DRAIN THE GREASE. 



Add the stock, salt, and cayenne to the bacon. Bring to a simmer. 


While you are waiting for the stock to come to a simmer, steam the chopped broccoli. 


Add the broccoli to the stock and allow to simmer for five minutes. Reduce heat to low.


Just before you serve the soup, add the cream, water, and cheese.  
Stir constantly until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. I just started doing very low carb dieting. On day two actually. Definitely will have to write down this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

nRelate All Pages