Tuesday, October 29, 2013

LCHF again and a Crustless Spinach Quiche recipe

Somehow I managed to convince myself to give LCHF (low-carb, high-fat) another try. If you don't know much about it, you can read up on the eating style at the Diet Doctor or Low Carbs High Fat.  Essentially, it's an eating style that focuses on getting your calories from approximately 5% carbohydrates, 25% protein, and 70% healthy fats. There's plenty of research and scientific info out there. If you can't find it on your own and your interested, let me know and I'll show you some great resources.

Anyway, all of the research I have done has shown me that for someone who has issues with insulin resistance and hormone regulation, like myself, a diet that is low in carbohydrates is the most effective method of not only losing weight but balancing hormonal levels and blood sugars.

Because of my history with eating disorders, the last time we attempted LCHF, I really triggered myself. I was hyper-analyzing ever single micronutrient and macronutrient of my diet. I've decided to give it another go for a few months, but this time I am only going to pay attention to my carb, fat, and protein intake and trust that my body will crave the appropriate foods to get all of my vitamins and nutrients in (on top of my normal daily multi-vitamin).

Trusting my body. Huh. That will be a new concept and something that will probably be really good for me.

I'm also not focusing on this being about weight loss. Because what I really want to do is get my hormones working in the way that will help us to get pregnant when we start trying in a few months. However, I will, most likely, lose weight.

World's Easiest Crustless Spinach Quiche 

5 eggs
1 ten ounce package frozen spinach,thawed
3 cups shredded cheese (any type you like best)
1 tbs butter

In a tea towel, drain your spinach as well as you possibly can. Squeeze the heck out of it and get the water out.


Saute the spinach in a pan with a tablespoon of butter. You can choose to season the spinach now. I generally just use sea salt and black pepper, but you could add some garlic or any other favorite spice, too. 



While the spinach is sauteing, in a large bowl, mix together the eggs and cheese. 


And then fold in the spinach.


Grease a 9 inch pie pan and pour your mixture into the pan.


Bake that at 300 degrees for 30 minutes or until the eggs are set. 


Done! Enjoy! I told you! Easiest Quiche in the world! 






1 comment:

  1. Yay! Even tho I've moved out of the active weight loss phase for now, I find that I continue to mostly eat that way, and when I don't my body hates me for it for a few days afterwards. It's been great for regulating a lot of things - a lot going on in my life and a lot of stress that I feel like I'm handling a lot better than I used to.

    I think you have a really healthy approach and philosophy towards it. Best wishes on your journey!

    ReplyDelete

nRelate All Pages