Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Gay Christian Network Conference!

From the Gay Christian Network website: 

Founded in 2001, the Gay Christian Network (GCN) is a nonprofit Christian ministry dedicated to building bridges and offering support for those caught in the crossfire of one of today’s most divisive culture wars.
Our membership includes both those on Side A (supporting same-sex marriage and relationships) and on Side B (promoting celibacy for Christians with same-sex attractions). What began as an organization to provide support to LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) Christians has grown into a worldwide movement for compassion with many straight members as well.
GCN helps create safe spaces both online and offline for Christians of all sorts to make friends, ask questions, get support, and offer support to others.
Through conferences, speaking events, videos, message boards, and more, we’re transforming the conversation in the church and working to “share Christ’s light and love for all.”

The online community has proven to be a huge support in my life and has become particularly important to me as I have begun to think more about my path into seminary and the ministry. Having a place where I am completely and totally accepted and have no need to ever defend my beliefs or my theology has been so very helpful.

The 10th Annual Gay Christian Network Conference is being held in Chicago this year and I would really love to be able to attend. The keynote speaker is Rachel Held Evans, author of A Year of Biblical Womanhood. I am beyond excited to hear Rachel speak and, of course, attend all the other workshops and events associated. It's bound to be an amazing weekend!

Of course, to do this will require a little bit of financial wrangling on my part. I'm looking into a part-time seasonal job, planning out a very strictly budgeted for the trip, and planning a few fundraisers.

Budget Transparency 

Conference Fee-  $180 
Hotel (4 Nights at Conference Hotel)-  $554.06 
Mega Bus Roundtrip-  $25
Meals ($30/day)-  $150

Grand total:                           $909.06

No comments:

Post a Comment

nRelate All Pages