1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Married Wendy! Took a pottery class, started a savings account specifically for sperm purchases, drove to Montana to see my mom
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I didn't specifically resolve to quit smoking, but it has been something
I have been making slow progress on for a number of years now. And here
I am approaching the New Year as a current non-smoker. There were some
stumbles for sure, but at the end of it all, I am striving to continue
my non-smoker status. Our plans for early next year have a pretty big
impact on that.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
So. Many. Babies!
Chelsea and Josh had Dex at the very beginning of the year and I was lucky enough to there for his birth.
My brother Zachary and my darling sister-in-law DaryLynn brought beautiful Ember Skye into the world.
had a bunch of friends give birth; Sarah and Doran had Bea, Sarah and
Mark had Cooper, Sara and Marc had Kade, and Kate and Dan had Sam. It's
really been a baby boom in our group of friends this year!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thank God, no.
5. What countries did you visit?
Um...pathetic. I've never left the U.S.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
A re-newed gym membership
7. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 14 - Governor Dayton made love the law in Minnesota by signing the marriage equality bill into law.
August 24 - Our wedding day!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I think the smoking thing is a pretty big achievement.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Weight loss and health improvement. I really tried to focus on it a lot, but it kept falling to the wayside.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing significant. Same old, same old.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Our biggest purchases were wedding related and that experience was worth every single penny!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My beautiful amazing city of Minneapolis for the huge show of support in making marriage equality a reality for our state.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Same old, same old. Bigots, jerks, racists, hypocrites, etc., etc.
14. Where did most of your money go?
The wedding, craft supplies, savings (!)
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Road tripping to Montana, our wedding, visiting with my mom
16. What song will always remind you of 2013? “Same Love” by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Happier or Sadder? Happier. b) Thinner or Fatter? The same. c) Richer or Poorer? Richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Writing, hiking, traveling, knitting
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Driving down to Missouri and to see the in-laws
21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
Deeper and deeper in love with my wife.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
I'm always behind in television. This year, we started watching Sons of
Anarchy, Walking Dead, and Orange is the New Black. But I discovered
Gray's Anatomy on re-runs and have to say it is my favorite show this
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate? Really? Do you even know me?
24. What was the best book you read?
Since there is almost always two or three books going at one time on my
Good Reads list, narrowing it down to one book is really difficult. I'm
breaking the rules and listing my 5 favorite books of the year.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2013?
I discovered Macklemore this year, and that lead me to opening my mind
to indie hip hop and rap. (Which my wife has been telling me to try for
years). So, my discoveries have involved:
26. What did you want and get? I am blessed with a wife that goes out of her way to make sure I get whatever I want. And I could not ask for more than that!
27. What did you want and not get?
I wanted to travel outside of the country.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 36. We had brunch with Ani and Shawn at the Red Stag, went to
lunch at Chatterbox, and then went and saw The Heat. It was a busy and
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
The ability to be more direct, more close friendships, more time
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Functional! I don't wear anything I can't wipe my hands on. *Also, I initially posted this without editing The Wife's answers. So, nope, I haven't become more comfortable wearing ties.
32. What kept you sane?
My wife, my dogs, the internet, crafting
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Um...I thought a lot about Nelson Mandela.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
As always, marriage equality. And women's sexual health.
35. Who did you miss?
My grandma is always missed. The most missed people though were not actual people, but the "idea" of who I thought people were.
36. Who was the best new person you met? Julie and Julia....I think that's it.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
The first step to getting what you want is having the courage to get rid of what you don't want.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
When I ran out of thread, I couldn't let go
But that's not sewing, that's, that's just poking holes